Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Kids Will Break Your Bank



My mother is devastated that I don't want kids. She constantly asks "But who will take care of you when you're old?" To me it's always been a bold assumption that having a child guarantees a caregiver later on in life. It might be ideal but there's every chance your child will be unable or unwilling to care for you when you need it.

If you really want surefire security and comfort in old age your safer bet is probably a good sized nest egg. That's why I feel I'm better off sticking the $250,000 it costs to raise a child into a mutual fund or savings account. Heck, with my dislike of kids I'm probably better off blowing that money on vacations and nice dinners.

Either way, I am not sold on the argument that I need to have kids so they can take care of me some day.

1 comment:

  1. You know your mother thinks you are going to devote your entire middle age to caring for her. Let's hope one of your brothers marries a very nurturing woman and takes over.

    ReplyDelete